Semcac Head Start is seeking 2 full-time Americorps LEAP members for the classroom locations in Kasson, Austin, Winona or Owatonna.
National Service can transform your life – or at least get you better prepared for college or career. If you love children, and understand how important social – emotional skills are for a life of learning, achieving and succeeding, then our program is for you! We need social-emotional skill builders to serve across southern Minnesota. Positions provide a monthly living allowance, health and child care benefit option, qualifying school loan forbearance, and a $5775 Segal Education Award for college expenses. Your World. Your Chance to Make it Better.
We are making effective strides in building the early childhood education and development movement in southern Minnesota. Become a part of making a difference in the lives of our youngest citizens’ school readiness preparation for Kindergarten. Take the LEAP and experience amazing personal and professional rewards!
- AmeriCorps engages more than 75,000 Americans each year in intensive service to meet critical needs in community
- In southern Minnesota, you will work 1:1 and in small groups helping children, ages 3-5, build social/emotional proficiencies for Kindergarten
- You will build relationships with children; provide positive recognition and specific interventions that build skills of empathy, emotion regulation and social skills
- You will share information and resources with parents and caregivers to increase awareness for routine reading and other activities that build bonds and school readiness skills
- You will share your experience and knowledge to encourage more citizens to become early childhood advocates, champions, and volunteers to extend the knowledge network and strengthen the movement in southern Minnesota
As an AmeriCorps member, you will:
- Experience the satisfaction of incorporating service into your life and making a critical difference in the lives of children, families and your country
- Apply your skills and ideals toward helping others and meeting critical early childhood needs in southern Minnesota
- Give back to the community while exploring a career and receiving valuable personal and professional training
- Be eligible for a variety of benefits
- Receive a $1,098 monthly living allowance for full time (1700 hours) service (adjusted for half time/900 hours)
- Receive a $5,775 Segal education award to attend college, graduate school or pay qualified student loans ($2,887.50 HT)
- Receive forbearance and interest paid on federal student loans
- Receive health coverage and child care support
Work Life and Skill Benefits
- Gain valuable skills and experiences in areas that interest you and translate directly into job experience
- Learn teamwork, communication, responsibility, and other essential skills that will help you for the rest of your life, while gaining personal satisfaction from taking on a challenge
- Many find their AmeriCorps year provides more experience and skills than a traditional, paying job
- Must be over 18 with a GED or high school diploma and two years post high school work or education; college degree preferred for some positions
- Proof of citizenship or legal status; pass background check screening
For more information or to apply visit our website at www.smifoundation.org or contact Barbara Gunderson, AmeriCorps LEAP Director, at email@example.com | 507-455-3215
LEAP is a national service donor sponsorship of Southern Minnesota Initiative Foundation—Early Childhood Development, ServeMinnesota, and the Corporation for National and Community Service. We are committed to recruiting and engaging individuals without regard to disability, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. Reasonable accommodations provided upon request. Document available in alternative formats.