The 2016-2017 EAP application will be available after Sept. 1, 2016.
If you are facing a disconnection, you can try calling your county social services and apply for EA (Emergency Assistance).
Households that received Energy Assistance in 2016 will automatically receive an application in the mail for the EAP 2017 program year by October 1, 2016.
The Energy Assistance Program is a federally funded program administered through the Minnesota Department of Commerce. The program provides financial assistance to help with household winter heating bills. Both homeowners and renters may apply. A household must complete the application process to determine eligibility and the amount of their utility assistance. Financial assistance payments are made directly to the household’s utility company.
Qualification and calculations for the amount of program assistance is determined by:
- the household income; last 3 months gross income of all household members age 18 and older
- the number of household members
- the amount of heat used in the home, from the heat source; 12 month consumption information if available
Verification of the last three months of household income is needed to apply. Generally, income guidelines are 50% of the State of Minnesota Median Income.
2017 Maximum Energy Assistance Program Income Guidelines
|Household Size||Annual Income||3 month Max. Guidelines||Household Size||Annual Income||3 month Max. Guidelines|
The Energy Assistance Program also provides
- Education to consumers regarding home energy efficiency and safety.
- Automatic application to Semcac’s Weatherization Assistance Program.
- Crisis help for utility disconnections or necessary fuel deliveries.
- Emergency heating system repair or replacement (to owner-occupied EAP eligible households, only).
To receive assistance a household must apply for the Energy Assistance Program. Call 1-800-944-3281 for an application, or use our Semcac Message Center.
If you have additional questions or concerns for the Department of Commerce, please visit their website, here.
- To view a list of EAP service providers, listed by county, visit this page on their website.