Housing Rehab Programs

Semcac offers several programs to assist homeowners and rental property owners to fix up their home or property. To determine if you qualify and learn more about each program, please call Cindy or Vonda at (507) 864-7741. To email a request or send us information please use our Semcac Message Center.

Small Cities Development Program

Semcac has partnered with local governments and housing & redevelopment authorities to administer Small Cities Development Program projects.

Homeowner Rehab Loans:

  • Final applications have been submitted to DEED for the City of Albert Lea.
  • We are currently processing applications in the City of Austin.

Loan Programs for Homeowners

Fix-Up Fund Loan Program

This Minnesota Housing Finance Agency loan program is available for the rehabilitation or renovation of an owner-occupied home. Households can borrow up to $50,000 at a below market interest rate. The maximum household income limit for this program is $96,500.

For more details about a Fix-Up Loan and for contact information, CLICK HERE

Community Fix-Up Fund Loan Program

The Community Fix Up Initiative has loans available for improving or preserving your home if you are a resident in one of the seven counties we service. Semcac Housing staff administers the funds. The minimum loan amount that can be borrowed is $2,000 and the maximum is $15,000. If you have a fixed or low income and reside in our service area, perhaps you don’t qualify for the MN Housing Rehab Loan program, however you could be an ideal candidate for Community Fix-Up Fund loans instead!

Contact: Vonda Budde | 507-864-8241 |  vonda.budde@semcac.org

Rehab Loan Program

This Minnesota Housing Finance Agency loan program helps low-income homeowners make their homes more livable, accessible, and energy efficient. Eligible improvements include plumbing, electrical wiring, roofing, heating, accessibility improvements, and remedy of any defect preventing the structure from meeting code requirements. This loan places a 15-year mortgage on the property and is forgivable after 15 years only if it has remained the owner’s principal place of residence. For mobile homes in a mobile home park, the term of the loan is 10 years.

Contact:  Cindy Vitse  |  507-864-8207  |  cindy.vitse@semcac.org

Here are some photos of a bathroom rehab done by Semcac in Freeborn County:

Before  After
 BEFORE  After


Fair Housing Act

Equal Housing OpportunitySemcac’s Community Development Department does business in accordance with the Federal Fair Housing Law (The Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988). It is illegal to discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.

  • In the sale or rental of housing or residental lots;
  • In advertising the sale or rental of housing;
  • In the financing of housing;
  • In the appraisal of housing; and
  • In the provision of real estate brokerage services.
  • Blockbusting is also illegal.

Anyone who feels he or she has been discriminated against should file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD): 1-800-669-9777 (toll free) or 1-800-927-9275 (TTY). Click here for more Fair Housing information from HUD.