Semcac is taking all of Governor Walz’s directives seriously and following updates and guidance provided by the CDC, about COVID-19. Semcac monitors the situation regularly and is also receiving recommendations from various state funding sources.
Please be patient, kind and forgiving as we do our best to navigate this situation.
We are doing our best to keep our clients/consumers, staff and community safe and healthy. As the southeast Community Action Agency serving a span of counties and thousands of individuals and families, we want to help people however we are able, while keeping our staff safe. Please know our decisions to cancel events or limit congregating is for the health of all.
Internal changes as recommended by CDC for enhanced cleaning schedules and procedures, working from home for staff if possible, less meetings and more electronic communications, physical distancing as possible, and employees staying home if ill, is all being practiced.
In an effort to be cognizant of health and recommendations to decrease the spread of illness, we are reducing in-person contact as much as possible. We ask that clients/constituents please call, email or mail communications instead of coming in-person if at all possible. Visit our Contact Us page to find the contact info for your location.
Changes & Updates to Services
- Contact County Offices: Please contact and make an appointment before visiting. The offices are limiting entry and some location’s office hours. Communication will be done with clients via phone or email, and physical distancing is being practiced. Signage is posted at the sites.
- Email contacts for each of the county office sites are as follows: Dodge – email@example.com | Fillmore – firstname.lastname@example.org | Freeborn – email@example.com | Mower – firstname.lastname@example.org | Houston – email@example.com | Steele – firstname.lastname@example.org | Winona – email@example.com
- The Kasson, Dodge County contact office and food shelf Open House pre-scheduled for March 30 is CANCELLED. Call or email your local site if you have questions about other Semcac-involved events in your area.
- Food Shelves: Operating during regularly scheduled times of operation (Tues & Thurs.) However, signs will be posted with instructions. Please be patient and respectful of others and of our staff with these changes. Sites may have doors locked in order to bring pre-packaged food supplies to clients — outside of our doors/to vehicles, etc.
- Head Start Program: Sites are closed when the related school system cancels school. Additionally, at this time per mandate, all Head Start classroom sites are closed as of 3/18/20 per the governor’s directive timeframe. Head Start staff are doing their best to help Head Start families during this period- We provided all families with educational materials of learning activities to do at home, along with food and info on community resources such as available meal services. Staff are maintaining regular contact with every family to listen and provide support.
- Early Head Start/ Home Based visits are also suspended at this time.
- You can still fill out the Head Start enrollment application on our website, directly.
- Weatherization & Housing Programs: Any home visits will be preceded by a phone call to make sure that households are comfortable with having staff enter their home and that clients are healthy.
- Weatherization has given notice to their mechanical contractors to complete all jobs in progress by 3/20/20 and hold projects not yet started. Semcac’s Energy Auditors will not be doing new energy audits at this time. The Weatherization crew will continue working on jobs as they are able.
- Senior Dining/Nutrition Services: Home delivered and Meals on Wheels are operating. Congregate (Senior Dining) meals are NOT able to allow clients to congregate/gather, however options are currently available for meal pick-up, packaged meals-to-go. Please contact our Senior Services admin staff in Rushford for more information. 507.864.8231
- Semcac Clinic: Signage is posted at the site with instructions. With recommendation from the Clinic’s Medical Director, the Clinic is asking patients to please reschedule any non-essential appointments. Contact the Clinic with any questions.
- Clinic will be temporarily CLOSED due to the governor’s Stay at Home recommendations, Mar 28 – Apr 10, 2020.
- The Pee 4 Pizza event pre-scheduled for April 7th is CANCELLED.
- Note: Semcac Clinic does NOT provide COVID-19/ Coronavirus testing. Please contact Public Health for more information about where to go for testing.
- Transportation: We will follow any mandates provided by MN Dept of Transportation and the Governor. At this time, cleaning efforts have been increased and we are operating.
- Energy Assistance Program: Please limit in-person visits and contact with our staff as instructed above. Please contact the Rushford office at 800-944-3281 or email semcac.org/energy for your energy assistance needs.
- Semcac’s main administrative office in Rushford, 204 S. Elm Street will have the doors locked with signage and instructions posted with phone and email contacts for visitors to utilize. Limited staff will be there at varied times. We apologize for any inconvenience but, please know, we are doing our best to communicate and to serve – while maintaining physical distance and working from home per the governors directives. Messages will be checked regularly as applicable. The main office can be reached at 507.864.7741
Please visit this page and follow @Semcac on social media for regular updates and changes. We will do our best to communicate them as they occur. Remember, changes are temporary until further notice.
Donations are crucial and helpful during this time of unusual circumstance and crisis situations. Please visit our DONATE page to learn about ways to give. Please note: our food shelves and nutrition programs would encourage monetary gifts vs. gifts of food at this time due to the evolving changes with information regarding virus transmission. THANK YOU FOR YOUR GENEROSITY as we band together to help southeastern Minnesota! One of our online donation partners, GiveMN is kindly gifting back any usual fees associated with processing card donations during the months of March and April, to the nonprofits.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact us. Know that the capacity we utilize volunteers during this period may be limited and may change regularly. We also would be accepting volunteer help from those who are not ill, not showing symptoms of illness, who have not traveled to the areas listed on the CDC website regarding the COVID 19 spread, and those who have not had contact with someone infected. But, we are very appreciative that you are interested in helping your community!
Center for Disease Control & Prevention, COVID 19 page: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html
MN Dept of Health: https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/action.html
Office of Governor Walz & Peggy Flanagan: https://mn.gov/governor/news/executiveorders.jsp
Mnsure accepting insurance enrollment in special open-enrollment period March 24 – Apr 21, 2020: https://www.mnsure.org/new-customers/enrollment-deadlines/special-enrollment/covid19-sep.jsp