Semcac offers several programs to assist homeowners, rental property owners and/or commercial property owners to fix up their home or property. See program options below. To determine if you qualify and learn more about each program, please call Cindy at (507) 864-8207 or 

General Contractors & Lead Contractors Wanted

Seeking General Contractors for current and upcoming owner occupied rehab loan programs throughout Semcac and the Bluff Country HRA’s service area including Goodhue, Rice and Wabasha counties.

Woman owned and/or minority owned and Section 3 (household income of 80% and lower of county median) contractors are encouraged to apply.

Must have current MN Residential Contractor’s license and insurance. Lead Firm Certification (MDH & EPA)- Lead Renovators and/or Supervisors are required for MN Housing funded projects. Lead Supervisor Certification is required for DEED funded projects.

For an application, please contact Cindy at Semcac/Bluff Country HRA.  204 S Elm Street, PO Box 549, Rushford, MN 55971 – 507.864.8207 –

Residential Homeowner Rehab Programs

Rushford, MN

A revolving loan fund for deferred loans, to homeowners in the City of Rushford. This funding can be used for general home repairs and improvements.

Albert Lea, MN

A revolving loan fund for deferred loans, to homeowners in the City of Albert Lea. This funding can be used for general home repairs and improvements.

  • For households whose gross household income is 100% area medium income or below in Freeborn County. (See flyer for income limits.)
  • Loan limit: up to $25,000.
  • 0% interest for 30 years; repaid when the borrower no longer lives in the home or after 30 years, whichever comes first.
  • No need for equity.
  • Mobile homes are not eligible.
  • Home Renovation Loan Program Policy Manual & Guidelines – Albert Lea, MN

Small Cities Development Program

Semcac has partnered with local units of government, CEDA and HRA authorities, to administer Small Cities Development Program projects.

  • City of La Crescent; Owner Rehab
  • City of Hokah; Owner Rehab   (Our partner CEDA is doing Rental and Commerical Rehab in Hokah.)
  • City of Harmony; Owner Rehab (Our partner CEDA is doing Commercial Rehab in Harmony.)

About Small Cities Development

Funds may be used to provide financial assistance for property owners to correct certain health, safety, accessibility, prevent further deterioration of property, and/or restore and preserve a property’s historical value.

Contact Cindy Vitse for more information – 507.864.8207 

Loan Programs for Homeowners

MN Housing Rehab Loan Program

This Minnesota Housing loan program helps low-income homeowners make their homes more livable, accessible, and energy efficient. Eligible improvements include plumbing, electrical wiring, roofing, heating, accessibility improvements, and remedy of any defect preventing the structure from meeting code requirements. This loan places a 15-year mortgage on the property and is forgivable after 15 years only if it has remained the owner’s principal place of residence. For mobile homes in a mobile home park, the term of the loan is 10 years.

Contact Cindy Vitse for more information – 507.864.8207 

For Olmsted County homeowners, contact Olmsted County HRA at 507.328.7124

MN Housing Accessibility/Emergency Loan Program

The MN Housing Accessibility/Emergency Loan Program assists homeowners needing emergency assistance and/or essential accessibility improvements to their home.  Guidelines and terms for this loan program are the same as it is for Rehab Loan Program.

Contact:  Cindy Vitse | 507-864-8207 |

MN Housing Fix-Up Fund Loan Program

Semcac is no longer administering the MN Housing Fix Up Fund Loan Program. To find a lender, please contact MN Housing at: | PH: 651.296.8215 or 800.710.8871


To request an application for the Rehab Loan Program, call Cindy at 507-864-8207 or email

Semcac’s Community Development Department administers housing rehab loans for owner-occupied homes:

  • The MN Housing Rehab Loan Program is income based according to household size.  Please call for current income limits.

MN Housing Rehab Loan Program: The maximum loan amount is $37,500 (and $27,000 for EM/Access Loans due to COVID cost increases) up to 15 years at no interest. This loan places a mortgage on the property that is forgivable after 15 years if the home has remained the owner’s principal place of residence. For mobile homes in mobile home parks, the mortgage term is 10 years.

For the MN Housing Rehab Loan Program: Repairs are determined by a home inspection and also a lead risk paint inspection if the home was built in 1978 or before.  Lead paint issues, health, safety and energy conservation are the top priorities.

Fair Housing Act

Semcac’s Community Development Department does business in accordance with the Federal Fair Housing Law (The Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988). It is illegal to discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.

  • In the sale or rental of housing or residential lots;
  • In advertising the sale or rental of housing;
  • In the financing of housing;
  • In the appraisal of housing; and
  • In the provision of real estate brokerage services.
  • Blockbusting is also illegal.

Anyone who feels he or she has been discriminated against should file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD): 1-800-669-9777 (toll free) or 1-800-927-9275 (TTY). Click here for more Fair Housing information from HUD.